This is an offshoot of the original Liam & Janet blog. That blog has become overrun by Liam's inability to keep his mouth shut when something annoys him. The serious rants there seemed incongruous with the humor columns. The plan for the humor columns continues to be to post a new one every Friday, plus occasional extras when the mood strikes.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sad Day in the Comic World

NOTE: News reports are saying 45 years old, Richard Jeni's web site lists his age as 49 with his 50th birthday coming up in a month. I do not know which is correct. --Liam

There is nothing funny I can say about this. One of the true greats of the stand-up world, one of my favorite comics, has died.

Richard Jeni never failed to make me laugh. Apparently, behind it, he battled his own demons, demons with which I, too, am all too familiar.

Richard Jeni took his own life. Details are sketchy, but from what I've been able to determine, he suffered from depression. In a very real sense, this disease took his life.

I'm sorry to put such a bummer piece on an otherwise humor dedicated blog, but in my mind, anyway, Richard Jeni was one of the greats who never got the recognition or the fame he deserved.

Richard Jeni was 45 years old.

He will be missed.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Ross said...

Hard to believe it's been a whole year since Richard Jeni died.

I didn't really follow his career closely -- he was always "Platypus Man" to me. But it's still sad.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:47:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]
Visit HumorLinks!

This HumorLinks Ring site
owned by
Liam\'s Weekly Humor Column

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]
Website Counter
Counter